Skip to main content

The Madison Shawl -crochet pattern


I'm so happy to be able to share my latest pattern! The Madison Shawl is a design I first started working on last year. I had recently finished designing a scarf for Your Crochet and Knitting magazine using a similar stitch pattern and wanted to see if I could adapt that into a triangular shawl. It took me a few attempts, the first of which I was hooking up on the train to Yarndale back in September, so it feels great to have it finally have it finished and looking just as I hoped! I've recently started working on a 4 ply version with some of the beautiful merino from Irish Artisan Yarns that I picked up that same day. I'm really excited to see how it works up in a lighter weight yarn.






The shawl is designed using just under 200g of dk yarn with a 4 mm hook but this could be adapted to suit your choice of yarn. A super chunky version would be lovely and cosy for the Winter! If using 4-ply yarn I’d recommend using a 6mm hook for a lacy lightweight effect, you’ll need approx 130g. The crossed stitches add texture and are a great way to show off a variegated yarn, pair with a contrasting solid colour for a contemporary look. I've used 1x100g ball in each King Cole Beaches dk and Paradise Beaches dk but you could substitute this for any yarn you have in your stash. It would also look great in cotton or 4 ply yarn as a lightweight cover up for the warmer months, just add in more increases to adjust the width as needed.




I hope you like the pattern and have fun planning different colour combinations. Make sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your versions and take a look at the fab work from my pattern testers below for some inspiration. I love how different they are!

Pattern available on Etsy and Lovecrafts.com now

*King Cole yarn gifted as part of the Brand Ambassador programme, click here to find your nearest stockist


@loulie_rae
@peterb195



@katleecrochet













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plant pot covers-free crochet pattern

This quick little make is a great use for any leftover bits of t shirt or chunky yarn. I used the Hoooked ribbon and zpagetti yarns to make these cute little gifts for my little boy's pre-school teachers. The pattern would suit any yarn that has a small amount of stretch in it and it's really simple to adapt. I've made these using paintbox yarns chunky acrylic too and it works perfectly! You will need: Just a small amount of yarn and a hook size to match (with the t shirt or ribbon yarn I use 9mm or chunky acrylic with a 6mm) a small plant pot. Mine measure approx. 2 inch diameter at the base, 2.5 inch diameter at the top and height = 2.5 inches scissors and darning needle to weave in ends Follow the basic pattern below increasing the number rows to adjust height or diameter abbreviations: mc = magic circle st= stitch hdc= us half double/uk half treble ss= slip stitch ch = chain note-ch 1 does not count as a stitch with t shirt yarn and a 9mm hook: 1.

Spring Petals Hexagon- free crochet pattern

Spring Petals Bunting This pretty floral motif is worked in the round using 4ply cotton. Inspired by Spring blossom, this design uses bobble stitches to make each delicate three dimensional flower. Design originally featured in Inside Crochet magazine issue 114     Materials: ● DMC Natura Just Cotton, 4 ply 100 % cotton), 50g/155m/170yd 1 ball of each: Yarn A Ble (N83) Yarn B Ixora (N104) Yarn C Light Green (N12) Yarn D Nacar (N35) ● 3.5 mm hook You can use any 4 ply weight cotton to achieve a similar effect. Also pictured using a selections of 10g 4 ply mini's by Wild Rose Yarn. You could also use a chunkier yarn with a larger hook to make a bigger hexagon. Tension is not critical for this project but may effect finished measurements. Approx. 12.5cm/5in per motif Abbreviations: Ch- chain Tr- treble crochet Dc- double crochet Htr- half treble crochet St(s)- stitch(es) Dl st- slip stitch MB- ma

Granny Square Purse Tutorial

This is a super quick and fun make using any granny square pattern you like. It’s a great way of using up any yarns scraps you have and would work well using lots of different types of yarn. I used knitcraft cotton blend yarn from hobbycraft with a 4mm hook but you could use any yarn and hook size to suit. Simply make a 7 round granny square using your preferred method or use the pattern below. I wanted to use quite a solid square. You’ll then finished with a row of double crochet and sew. Change colour after each row if you like, just remember to work over your yarn tails as you go to save time weaving in all those ends later. You will need: Cotton blend yarn in 4 colours. I used purple, hot pink, mustard and teal 4mm hook 1 button In UK terms: Rnd1. Make a magic ring and chain 3 (equals 1 treble crochet stitch throughout)  3x treble crochet, chain 2 (4 trebles, chain 2) x3, slip stitch to top of chain 3 to join then fasten off Rnd2-7. Joining new colour in any stit