Skip to main content

Amigurumi dolls and the dreaded CE testing

I have to admit, I was quite naive when I first started to make my crocheted dolls. Amigurumi was the ultimate crochet level up for me and when I successfully achieved it I was so pleased with myself, the legalities of selling them didn't really occur to me.

When you first hear about CE testing, a legal requirement to sell your soft toys within the EU, it can be a little off putting to say the least. As a maker you just want to be able to create but it seems there's so much red tape to get through first. It can be totally overwhelming but, having recently gone through the process of self certifying, it absolutely can be done

Don't give up!

It's a lot to take in at first but there's plenty of support available. A wealth of information can be found on dedicated Facebook groups, created by people who have been through (and survived!) the CE process. Downloadable packs, such as the Conformance self certification pack for handmade soft toys, are incredibly useful and really help to break down the whole process, as well as providing templates to complete all the required paperwork. These packs are not compulsory but help to explain all elements of the testing and I found it well worth the small fee.  

CE testing is a legal requirement but I also see it as a way of perfecting your craft. It's helped me adapt and improve the pattern I was using to make it fully compliant. I perfected my pattern before testing, I didn't want to have to make more then the 2 dolls needed just to torture and burn! For me that meant creating a (relatively) no sew doll, crocheted from the head down, this removed the risk of sewn on arms failing the tension tests. I used a tiny 2mm hook with dk weight yarn to make my single crochet stitches super tight. I may have the blisters to show for it but after all tests there are no holes big enough for any stuffing to come out.


As well of the physical tests you'll need to source certificates for all materials used to show they comply with EN71 regulations on chemical migration. I chose to use patons dk yarn and trimits stuffing and safety eyes, all of which are tested and certificates are available. I've found most suppliers have been super helpful in sending the information needed via email

My top tips would be take you're time, read as much information as possible and try to have an extra pair of hands to help with the testing and photography to document your results. Once you get through it it will be so worth it. You can feel extra confident in your makes and attach that CE label with pride

I can't wait to share my full range of mermaid dolls with you all soon!

Hayley








Comments

  1. Very nice blog...... Hot Tot Hair Products seems to be very useful.... I would like to try them if i could buy them in Australia.... Nice work, keep it up.

    ce certification cost

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Amigurumi dolls" is redundant. Amigurumi literally means "crocheted or knitted doll" so saying "Amigurumi dolls" is like saying "dolls dolls".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plant pot covers-free crochet pattern

This quick little make is a great use for any leftover bits of t shirt or chunky yarn. I used the Hoooked ribbon and zpagetti yarns to make these cute little gifts for my little boy's pre-school teachers. The pattern would suit any yarn that has a small amount of stretch in it and it's really simple to adapt. I've made these using paintbox yarns chunky acrylic too and it works perfectly! You will need: Just a small amount of yarn and a hook size to match (with the t shirt or ribbon yarn I use 9mm or chunky acrylic with a 6mm) a small plant pot. Mine measure approx. 2 inch diameter at the base, 2.5 inch diameter at the top and height = 2.5 inches scissors and darning needle to weave in ends Follow the basic pattern below increasing the number rows to adjust height or diameter abbreviations: mc = magic circle st= stitch hdc= us half double/uk half treble ss= slip stitch ch = chain note-ch 1 does not count as a stitch with t shirt yarn and a 9mm hook: 1.

Spring Petals Hexagon- free crochet pattern

Spring Petals Bunting This pretty floral motif is worked in the round using 4ply cotton. Inspired by Spring blossom, this design uses bobble stitches to make each delicate three dimensional flower. Design originally featured in Inside Crochet magazine issue 114     Materials: ● DMC Natura Just Cotton, 4 ply 100 % cotton), 50g/155m/170yd 1 ball of each: Yarn A Ble (N83) Yarn B Ixora (N104) Yarn C Light Green (N12) Yarn D Nacar (N35) ● 3.5 mm hook You can use any 4 ply weight cotton to achieve a similar effect. Also pictured using a selections of 10g 4 ply mini's by Wild Rose Yarn. You could also use a chunkier yarn with a larger hook to make a bigger hexagon. Tension is not critical for this project but may effect finished measurements. Approx. 12.5cm/5in per motif Abbreviations: Ch- chain Tr- treble crochet Dc- double crochet Htr- half treble crochet St(s)- stitch(es) Dl st- slip stitch MB- ma

Granny Square Purse Tutorial

This is a super quick and fun make using any granny square pattern you like. It’s a great way of using up any yarns scraps you have and would work well using lots of different types of yarn. I used knitcraft cotton blend yarn from hobbycraft with a 4mm hook but you could use any yarn and hook size to suit. Simply make a 7 round granny square using your preferred method or use the pattern below. I wanted to use quite a solid square. You’ll then finished with a row of double crochet and sew. Change colour after each row if you like, just remember to work over your yarn tails as you go to save time weaving in all those ends later. You will need: Cotton blend yarn in 4 colours. I used purple, hot pink, mustard and teal 4mm hook 1 button In UK terms: Rnd1. Make a magic ring and chain 3 (equals 1 treble crochet stitch throughout)  3x treble crochet, chain 2 (4 trebles, chain 2) x3, slip stitch to top of chain 3 to join then fasten off Rnd2-7. Joining new colour in any stit